Sunday, August 22, 2010

Gearing Up

Ready or not, in our house school begins this week. In light of Daddy's working nights, a trip to Indianapolis for doctors' appointments all day Tuesday, and a couple of house-building-related meetings, I probably would have opted to just wait one more week. However, several little monkeys who live here are eager to get started, so off we go.

I like to make daily schedules. Mind you, we probably only follow them one to two days out of the year, but it helps me mentally to see that, yes, we can get it all done if we just plan well and keep plugging away (and get out of bed early enough). I also have new chore charts ready to present. I find it funny that even housework can get the kiddos excited if presented in the context of the beginning of an academic year. Brightly colored, fun charts are also motivating, at least for a little while!

I like to surprise the kids each year with some fun new school supplies on the first day. I won't post a picture of this year's for privacy reasons as I splurged on personalized pencil cases for the boys and notebooks for daughter numero uno. Daughter numero quatro will have certainly scribbled on every page in hers within 10 minutes, so no monogramming for her just yet. I save the pencil cases for the first day of kindergarten (or your first day of school in America).

I am probably less prepared this year than I have ever been. I still haven't nailed down what I want to do for math, for crying out loud!!! But, we're forging ahead and I will make some decisions as we roll along. Lots of ideas are rolling around in my brain, and I'm hoping they will miraculously form into crystal clear techniques if I just keep mulling them over.

St. John the Baptist, pray for us!!!!!!! :)

No comments: