Friday, March 18, 2011

To the Kind Lady in the Grocery Store

Rub-a-dub-dub, 3 cuties in the tub. The blondie is my nephew Sam.

Costume fitting for this weekend's ballet. So pretty...

1-year-old nephew's birthday party. All photos including birthday boy turned out blurry...


...kinda like this one.



First haircut


Making pipe cleaner rosaries for Lent.



Snuggle Bugs

(Now that I've inundated you with random pictures of what we've been up to in recent weeks, I can get on with the point of this post.)

Thank you very much. You didn't have to take time out of your day to say something nice to me and my kiddos, but you did.


It's been almost one year since we adopted child #4 into our family, and I had yet to brave a grocery shopping trip with all in tow. Until yesterday.
What's the big deal about that? one might ask. It may not seem that great a feat. But, when you consider the wheelchair lift, getting everybody in and out of carseats, loading bags, dealing with wheelchair tie-downs, etc., it gets complicated. Add bad weather, and the task becomes unmanageable. We'd rather just eat whatever random food items happen to be left on the shelf.
Yesterday, however, the sun was shining, nobody needed coats, we had to go to the library anyway (fines over $50, I kid you not), and I really wanted to try a new recipe for St. Patrick's Day. So, without really thinking about the logistical implications, I announced that we would also be stopping off for a few groceries.
Well, it went just fine. Everybody's behavior was about the best it's been, oh I'd say, ever. There were no meltdowns over candy or sugar cereal. OK, I did use a wee bit of bribery to the tune of modeling clay and those silly plastic things that expand in water. Miss 3-y-o was on the verge of a tantrum over gum in the checkout aisle, but she miraculously pulled herself together (I do not use the term 'miraculously' lightly here). I only had to ask my eldest son 3 or 4 times to move to the side so that we would not be blocking the entire aisle (wheelchair plus big cart - you get the idea).
At the checkout we realized that numero uno had inadvertently set down books she intended as a gift for a friend somewhere in the store while she was helping me shop. We were discussing this quietly (another minor miracle), so I didn't even notice anyone pull up behind us in line.
As I turned around to swipe my card, I heard a gentle voice say, "Good job, Mom. You're doing great."
She didn't say so, but she certainly appeared to be a motherly type. She obviously appreciated the struggle of shopping with an entourage of children. She proceeded to ask the kids questions and remind them of what a nice family they have.
It was a moment that encouraged not only me, but also the kids. Everybody needs to hear every once in a while that they're doing a good job.
I hope God blesses that sweet woman the way she did us.




















1 comment:

Sara Thompson said...

I second that. Ur inspiring to say the least