I heard through the grapevine (my husband) that Planned Parenthood published a list of movies that they considered 'anti-choice' or something ridiculous like that. Of course, that distinction made them must-sees for us. So, we watched a couple this week.
First was "August Rush", a modern fairy tale about a boy given up for adoption at birth who is seeking to find his birth parents through music. The characters are a bit over-the-top and the story is not even close to realistic. However, once I got into the mindset of watching a FAIRY TALE, it was easy to get absorbed in the story. And, it's a good one - heartwarming and exciting. There's implied premarital you-know-what, so I wouldn't recommend it for kids. The actors are some of my favorite: Keri Russel and Jonathan Rhys Meyers. There are a few really cool music scenes, too.
Second, we watched "Juno" which was nominated for a bunch of Oscars this year. The leading actress Ellen Page was incredible. I really enjoyed this one, too. It's about a teenager who gets herself pregnant (not literally - there's a boyfriend involved), and decides to give the baby up for adoption. There is some raunchy language, etc., but overall, it's a sweet story about kids who get in way over their heads and make the best of it.
So, I guess Planned Parenthood is mad that the main characters in each of these films opted to have their babies and give them up for adoption. And their lives were not ruined in the process. In fact, in spite of the difficulty of these unplanned pregnancies, the heroines find happiness either through finally meeting her child or by giving the gift of a child to a woman desperate for motherhood.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Anne! I have seen Juno twice and loved it. I find it ironic that Planned Parenthood would call this movie anti-choice (well, not really). Juno went to a clinic to have an abortion. She made the choice to have the baby and bless someone who was unable to have her own. A couple of my friends have adopted and wouldn’t be parents if it weren’t for someone else making the right choice.
I hope all is well!
Take care,
Debbie
yes, interesting how the only acceptable choice to PP seems to be abortion.
Post a Comment