Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Lunch Buddy

It's just Vic and I at the table for lunch today. Colds have sidelined his sisters, so it's just the 2 of us, seated across from each other at the table. He insists on sitting in a grown up chair now, so he's only visible to me from about the chin up. I'm looking at his sweet round cheeks, randomly spiky hair, and big brown eyes and wondering at the conversation that ensues. Occasionally he covers his face with the trusty blue blanky and all I see is black eyelashes and eyebrows darting up and down. The blanky 'hides' his thumb-sucking, which we're trying to discourage, but when one part of his face is occupied, he compensates with exaggerated eyebrown movement, so they're darting up and down as he considers his next point.

I remain silent, occasionally commenting on his fascinating stream of consciousness. It goes something like this:

"Mom, when I grow up I want to be 2 things: a checkout person at Target and a priest."

"What's your favorite non-armoured carnivore?"

"What's your favorite herbivore?"

"did you know that _________(can't remember) is a raptor? A raptor is a meat eater that's covered with feathers."

"let's go over the difference between omnivore, carnivore, and herbivore."

"Do you know the difference between the Green Lantern and the Headless Horseman? (then he explains... I think I need to have a talk with Daddy...)

"Do you think the Headless Horseman could be hiding in my closet?"

"How big do you think ghosts are?"

"Do you know that there are some things that are too high to reach? You can't reach the tops of buildings, the sky, t-rex's head or the spine of spinosaurus."

"I think apples with peanut butter and cinnamon are better than candy, cake, cookies, even cupcakes!!!"

After our lunch date, I can't wait to type this post, so my little guy snuggles on my lap as I write. Do I mind that he is almost 5 and still wants to be carried? Not right now.

No comments: