Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Big Sisters are the Greatest

Hang around our house long enough and you'll be sure to hear the phrase, "sometimes the best way you can help is by not helping." We have an 8 year old, you see, who is very eager to do all sorts of grown up things, such as changing stinky diapers, cooking things over the stove, and sewing her own clothes. Many times, she is a great help. Other times, impulsivity, immaturity, or general lack of development stand in the way of accomplishing good deeds.

Today, however, I am enjoying the 6-year spread between my oldest and youngest children, because while the kids are all outside marching around in the cold and snow, I am snug and warm at my computer, peacefully making dinner plans.

Noise and mayhem will soon erupt when the frozen noses can take no more, but at the moment, I am so thankful for my 'big kid' helper keeping an eye on her little siblings. (Don't worry, I'm still watching out the window.)

On a side note, I ordered beds today for my *2* boys!! When adoption paperwork seems to be standing still, making other preparations is good for mental health.

Finally, thank you all for your prayers for my father-in-law. He is in a rehab hospital and is doing much better. Now we're praying for the inevitable lifestyle adjustments in their immediate future.

Enjoy the snow!

1 comment:

Tara said...

I feel the same way! I love having my 8-year-old around...

Can't wait to see the beds:)

Love you!

Tara