...and my first-born child went from tiny, screaming-her-head-off newborn to an almost-9 year old. Someone told her she was officially a 'tween when she turned 8. Hogwash, I say. When she's 11, maybe I"ll buy it. But for now, she is still a little girl, albeit growing more mature each day.
In fact, just today I realized that for the first time we were waiting for her in the car while she put the finishing touches on an outfit. Hmmm.... This from a child who could barely be coaxed out of stretch pants and t-shirts for YEARS and who would only brush her hair under duress even up until about a month ago. I could hardly ever do cute little things with ponytails and the like. She just didn't want to be bothered. Only rarely could I convince her that braids would be really cute, and then she would only leave them in for a short while.
She still loves to dig in dirt, watch preschool cartoons (although they're not her first choice anymore), and make old boxes into houses or props for magic tricks. But she's also developing more interest in what's happening in the world, from fashion trends to politics. For the first time, her birthday wish list includes clothing items and accessories.
Sometimes I wish I could just slow the passing of time just a bit. Is she really halfway to 18??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment