Friday afternoon, I wasn't sure it would happen. The baby had been fighting a cold all week. 3 bad nights in a row made me leary about driving 2 hours by myself to spend the night in a hotel. Disappointment was setting in when a dear friend suggested I bless the baby with St. Philomena oil and let God decide whether or not I should make my trip. Well, wouldn't you know it! The baby perked up, and off we went.
Eustace was working, and the older kids went to my parents' house (God bless them). At another time in my life, the thought of traveling alone with a baby would have seemed daunting. Now, it seems like a spa vacation.
Our destination? The Holy Family Home Educators' Annual Conference and Curriculum Share. This is serious fun for Catholic homeschooling moms. I promise.
My hotel room was incredible. (Thank you very much, Hotwire - the cheapest deals on the internet.) I parked myself on the sectional couch in front of the high definition flatscreen TV and thought, "Now what?" I had peace and quiet, the opportunity to watch a whole movie with only minor baby interruptions. It was fun for a little while, but I missed everybody. I kept thinking about how much Eustace would like this or the kids would like that.
Anyway, the conference was great! Imagine a gymnasium-size bookstore filled with all your favorite subjects... I had been looking forward to stocking up on things we would need for next year, and I was not disappointed. To top it off, the mass was beautiful, the talks were inspiring, and I came away renewed.
A quick stop at Starbucks, and we were on our way home. 24 hours away from Eustace and the 'big' kids was more than enough for me.
Fast forward to Sunday morning... Eustace is working, so we are lazy today. We'll hit mass later. Can't wait to dig in to my new books( and a few others I had already been working on). A sampling of the gems I picked up:
My Cup of Tea by Danielle Bean
A Pocketful of Pinecones by Karen Andreola
(I also recently grabbed On My Honor by Rick Perry, which has been on my long list of things to read...)
Nobody's up yet but the baby and me, so I just might get them all read, cover to cover.
And then, reality sets in. Two more kiddoes are up, the baby needs a diaper change, the doggy is hungry. The laundry is piled up to the ceiling, the dog is shedding like crazy, and the kitchen floor smells like stinky feet.
So, maybe I won't get them all read today. But, it's good to be home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment