This is a month of craziness for us. I won't bore you with details, but my vision of homeschool days filled with nature study, artwork, baking and plenty of read-alouds has fallen a bit by the wayside. We're not entirely off track, but I feel I've said the words, 'hurry up and finish' at least 10 times too many... This is not exactly the relaxed learning environment I had hoped for this year...
I know life will calm down, hopefully in the next month or so. But, sometimes, when I don't have as much time to direct things, I realize that life happens anyway. And the kids keep learning. Too much rushing around is definitely a detriment to their creativity. When we're just at home, though, and they are left to their own devices, I"m often amazed at what they come up with:
-a pretend debate pre-election, complete with pre-written questions by the 7-year-old moderator on several issues, including what to do about a child who doesn't want to go to bed and how to handle a boss who doesn't pay his workers enough.
-plays, poetry, and lots of book writing.
-'toddler school' where lucy seriously teaches victor stuff. and he likes it. the other day, they were poring over world atlases.
-when the weather permits, gardening outdoors. in the spring I turned them loose with a packet of seeds, and we had a sweet corner of one bed full of zenias.
-plenty of reading. lucy loves to just curl up with a book. And she's great about reading to the little ones, too.
-art work. I never realized there could be so many uses for a box or so many ways to draw a flying boat.
We stopped by a used book store today, and guess what I found! John Holt's How Children Learn (he's basically the father of unschooling) . I always vowed I would never completely be an unschooler, but I may have to eat my words. There's math, though, that I"m not sure my eldest would ever meander toward on her own. I might have to give it a month or two and see what happens.
Eustace, if you're reading, don't panic.
By unschooling I don't mean I'll never teach my kids anything. I just think there's something to the idea that kids learn better when they follow their interests.
Victor already knows more about cars than I do. Case in point.
And he can spell c-a-n-d-y. (He also says things like, "mommy, what does i-o-n-d-9-2 spell?" So, don't go on thinking he's a prodigy.)
While I think this over, we'll keep plugging away at our math and spelling workbooks and see where life takes us. Hmmm... sounds like an unschooler talking.
How Your Ministry is Right In Front Of You
3 days ago
No comments:
Post a Comment