A popular discussion topic in my book group (we're called 'sew into reading', because we sew, or eat, while we discuss books) is this: what is the criteria we should use for determining appropriate reading for our kids? This theme brings up lively, friendly debate, and I'm not sure we've come to any certain conclusion as of yet. I love this book group, by the way... We're a bunch of Catholic, homeschooling moms, and we read juicy stuff with Catholic themes. Most recently, we finished In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden. I'm pulling for the name Rumer if we ever have another girl baby...
Anyway, yesterday, my husband came home from work with the best-selling book Twilight. A co-worker had loaned it to him. I know it's been controversial, and I haven't read it yet. The movie is either out in theatres or will be soon, and so it's good, I think, to have formed an opinion about the subject matter. Fortunately, I don't have any kids old enough to see this film yet. I'm sure there will be other controversial books, films, and the like, to think about when the time comes. For now, I read an interesting review here today. So, hubby, if you're reading, check this out.
Sometimes it's fun to read a book just for the story. However, with all the great literary choices, why bother with borderline garbage. I'm not implying that's the case with the Twilight series - like I said, I haven't actually read it. Just wondering aloud if I ever will. Harry Potter consumed my every thought, so I stopped reading after book 3. Lucy was an infant at the time, and I had to focus on other things, like whether it was time for the next diaper change!
My suggestion, if you want a page-turner, is The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It is terrifying, apocalyptic, and hopeful. I would not recommend it for pregnant women or the faint of heart.
OK - Back to the kids... Enough goofing around on the computer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Anne, I love reading your blog and seeing the little adorable little ones.You are amazing.
Happy birthday Daddy Eustace.
Give Lucy a big hug and kiss from Dodie and Lucy you give Felicity and Victor a hug from me.
Saint Lucy will be watching out for all of you today.Bless you during this busy and Blessed time.
Love ,
Dodie ps.Thanks for showing Pada how to do this
Post a Comment