Saturday, April 25, 2009

Life Begins

The weather today is perfect. For the first time this year, all the windows in our house are wide open, the sun is shining, and the curtains are dancing in the breeze. Lucy spent a good chunk of the afternoon fishing (and getting really muddy) with our neighbor boy, and many in this house are finding sunny spots perfect for afternoon naps. I'm listening to lawnmowers, birds, and neighbors catching up after a long, cold winter.

It's the kind of day when all you can think about is the new life springing up all around and the excitement of enjoying time outdoors. My mind, though, is on my friend Jenn. Her husband John died suddenly and unexpectedly this week. I don't know a couple more fit and healthy than they are. She is an avid runner. His business was personal training. A vessel in his brain bled, and his life is over. He leaves behind Jenn and 3 young kids. Please pray for all of them.

I've been working on a post describing some of the current challenges in my life. But, it all seems a bit insignificant now. I just want to hug my husband and kids and cherish every moment we have. Life is a gift, and I know I take it for granted too often.

With a beautiful Spring day like this, it's easy to imagine what Heaven might be like. I hope that as John is laid to rest today, his family can focus on the eternal.

May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

No comments: