Sunday, December 13, 2009

Happy Feast of St. Lucy

Among the many things I love about being Catholic, celebrating feast days is near the top. Bringing the seasons of the liturgical calendar and the lives of the saints into the home is such a rich and lovely way to allow faith to penetrate daily family functioning.

Today is the Feast of St. Lucy. We celebrate the kids' patron saint days with a special dessert or meal, usually. I feel a little sad this morning because I forgot to plan something special. We've been so busy that although I knew it was coming, I failed to get my act together.

We have a 4H Christmas program and a Nutcracker performance today, so preparing the usual St. Lucy Cats yeast rolls is off the table.

So, here's my plan: Lucy means 'light,' right? So, we're having potato soup for dinner because it's white (hence, 'light'). I hope Lucy can see the connection. I can probably manage picking up some cookies or something to round out my 'theme.'

Actually, I was planning potato soup anyway. It just occured to me that I could twist the plan to my advantage. Haha.

If this seems lame, keep in mind that the first thing I heard from my 4-year-old this morning was, "Hey Mom, picture the skeleton of a Baryonyx in your mind. Got it? OK, now tell me about it." So, I'm functioning on overload.

I would like to mention that our son made it all the way through the 8:00PM performance of the Nutcracker last night without difficulty!!! I am very proud of him. He had quite the running commentary, but I'll close with the best conversaion of the night:

V: (during the waltz of the flowers) They don't look much like fairies.

M: They're not fairies, honey. They're flowers. Do they look like flowers?

(long pause, studying the dancers)

V: Yeah. Dead ones.

1 comment:

Sara Thompson said...

Haha! what a trooper. Phil is still traumatized to this day from dance recitals....