Thursday, April 22, 2010

Firsts

Thursday marked two weeks since we brought our son home from Armenia. I think the honeymoon is definitely over, which is good. Getting on with the business of being a family is a happy, healthy step in this process. The time we've spent together so far has been delightful at times, very challenging at others. There is so much we all need to learn about each other. Here are a few examples of the new beginnings we've been experiencing:



-First trip to the library. I hope the concept of returning the books is understood.



-First fight with brother over toy. I think it is healthy that they are comfortable enough with each other to argue. They've been through the cycle of fighting to friends again a few times now, and no one seems worse for the wear.



-Mom's first trip to grocery store for 'basics' that cost over $150. :) I think I will start making better use of my Sam's Club membership. I have not yet braved a trip to the store with everyone in tow... I'm in no hurry to go down that road.



-First correction of misbehavior requiring loss of privilege. Difficult moment for him. Difficult moment for Mama, too.



-First trip to our pediatrician, who kindly agreed to grant my request for a handicapped parking space in his lot. I love our doctor, but I can't believe in his 30 years of practice that nobody else asked him about this. I know we're not the only family in his office needing wheelchair accessibility.



-First email I ever sent to the Governor's office. The BMV initially denied our request for a handicapped tag for the van because our son does not yet have a SSN. Ridiculous!! I decided to be a squeaky wheel for once in my life, and it paid off. I got a response from the state BMV director and we had tags within 2 days. I didn't even have to go back to the local BMV. Amazing.



-First meal from a drive-thru eaten in the car. His initial reaction was, "where should I eat?" :) Dining (and I use that term loosely) while in motion seemed to suit him just fine.



-First visit to Grandma and Pada's house. First meeting of cousins. Family is such a blessing.



-First encounter with the Blue Knights Boys Club (Thanks, Grandpa, for accompanying the boys while Daddy was working). The club is eleven 4-7 year old boys. Need I say more? I believe he might have been slightly overwhelmed by this one, but says he enjoyed himself nevertheless.



-First experience with homeschooling. He is still getting his mind around the idea that for our family, school is at home, or wherever we happen to be. He is beginning to read in English. I think we're holding our own with completing the basics, not necessarily going crazy on extra subjects.

We're being initiated as a family in so many ways, it's hard to itemize them all. We're learning a great deal about love, trust, relying on grace, and meeting the needs of someone who has a significant disability. I am being stretched as a parent. The kids are growing in generosity, but it's hard sometimes.

I read headlines and no longer feel stressed. Obamacare? So what. It's not that I no longer care, everything just seems less important than the people God has placed in my life to care for on a daily basis.

I think the experience of completing an international adoption - from first seeing this child's face in a picture to completing the final paperwork and travel - has made very clear God's hand in our lives. Yes, things in the world, in this life, are bad, frustrating, upside down. I am so sad for Pope Benedict who is being accused so unjustly and is dealing with unimaginable challenges at a time in his life when most people have long since retired. But, that God can make a family from biologically unrelated people from opposite sides of the Earth is nothing short of miraculous. I am humbled and grateful for the opportunity He has given us to raise this sweet human being. God is bigger than all the garbage from whoever or whatever making life difficult and unfair.

I feel immensely blessed to be the wife of my wonderful husband and mother of these 4 great kids. God is so generous and merciful. Several times in my life, I have been acutely aware of His presence and power. This is one of them.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Reading that post Anne made my day! Thanks for sharing! Lots of LOve and prayers for you all!
shan

Sr. Mary Dolores said...

You continue to amaze me in your vocation as wife and mother! You are so right in that GOD knows exactly what we need to be happy. What is your son's name?

Nikki said...

What a beautiful post. I share your amazement at how a child from a far off land can completely change your perspective. The daily reminder of what their life could have been reminds me of what a blessed life we live.

Jenn said...

Anne, I'm still praying so hard for you and your family. I'm so happy to know what to pray for!

Jenn said...

Anne, I'm still praying so hard for you and your family. I'm so happy to know what to pray for!