Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Adventures in Potty Training

For some reason, today seemed like a good day have little miss princess wear big girl underpants for an extended period. (I should emphasize that I haven't really given potty training my all this time around ((to put it mildly)). She has shown signs of readiness for a long time, but life has been too crazy for me to give this endeavor my focused attention. Therefore, the decision to take off the pull-ups was arbitrary, based on limited previous consistency, if you know what I mean).

I have heard stories about little ones training themselves or figuring it out in 24 hours. I thought maybe it was my turn to have such luck.

So, out came the colorful, little girl panties, much to my sweet daughter's delight.

The first 3 hours went well. She was cooperative, and I actually remembered to take her to the bathroom at regular intervals.

Then, at 2:00 o'clock, the wheelchair delivery man came. (This was another exciting event about which I will write later...). We were engrossed in the beautiful new equipment which fits great, looks great, and is about half as heavy as the old one. We were discussing adjustments, etc., and miss 3-y-o was climbing all over me, babbling about this and that, oohing and aahing over the wheelchair.

Then it happened. The first big accident. Right on the paperwork I had just neatly filled out and signed. I was momentarily dumbstruck with horror.

I heard "uh-oh, Mommy" and looked over to see an expanding puddle with a yellow-tint spreading across the documentation.

I managed to stutter the facts: "Oh my goodness, I think she just peed on the papers." Of course, they were the only copies that came with the delivery from the store, which is not local.

Fortunately, this man has a good sense of humor. "Well, that has never happened before," he informed me with a smile, "should I get my biohazard kit?"

As it turned out, I picked up the papers quickly enough that the 'liquid' did not soak all the way through to the bottom of the pile, so I was able to salvage a copy of the signature pages.

In spite of a few other repeat incidents, she wanted to keep trying. Perhaps we are getting somewhere, even though current evidence points to the contrary. Does my lack of urgency about this mean that I'm becoming a seasoned mother or that I'm losing my mind?

Either way, we'll keep plugging away tomorrow. :)

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Hilarious to read...I'm sure it was more than that in the moment:) Go Felicity!! Love,Sh