This visit was for outpatient testing and an appointment with the urologist. We got some good information and had many questions answered. One bit of good news is that I feel much better about a certain medication we need to start. (Dad F., you probably know what I'm talking about.) I can give it to him once per day rather than 3 times. That is a big relief to this momma who has a hard time getting through a single course of antibiotics let alone a drug that will need to be administered indefinitely. I was also really freaked out about the potential side effects of this medicine, but I got some reassurance that problems are rare, so we're going to give it a whirl and hope for the best.
On another related note, we have delivery dates set for both new leg braces and a new wheelchair!! The chair we have (which came home with him from Armenia) has seen better days. Here's hoping it lasts through the 10-day countdown to new equipment.
Interestingly, it took about 4 months just to get through insurance paperwork and then only about 3 weeks for the chair to be ready once it was finally ordered. Hard to believe it takes months to determine medical necessity of a wheelchair for a child with spina bifida. From talking to other moms, it seems this is about a third the wait people endure when using M*dicaid. Thank goodness for private insurance. I will resist the temptation to digress further.
I, for one, am very excited about the new wheelchair. It will weight half as much as his current one, so getting it in and out of our vehicles will be much easier (I hope!). His little brother may need to learn that he can no longer use it as a jungle gym/scooter, however.
No comments:
Post a Comment