Yes, the mid to late winter blahs. The 'February Funk.' They can certainly get a person, and even a whole family, down in the dumps. Sometimes it seems Spring will never come. Alas, inspired by another of my favorite bloggers, here are a list of ten things that are good, even great, about mid-February...
1. Family Movie Night. My little ones are about to experience their first taste of 'Star Wars' at the time of this writing. I'm a little apprehensive, but we can always fast-forward, and my parents assure me that I saw this film in the theatre at the precious age of 6 when it was first released. I don't think I'm scarred for life, but that's probably up for debate!
2. The daily lighting of the gas log in our fireplace. It's become something of a ritual with Lucy holding the phone and reciting the emergency number (ie. 911) just in case.
3. Baby conversations. Lots of goos and gaas an plenty of time for us to soak it all in.
4. Deer sighting in our front yard. One night recently we watched 5 deer munch on our bushes in the glow of our front lamppost. Even hearing us through the window didn't scare them away.
5. Lent. I love everything about it from self-denial to Friday night fish fries. The occasion for spiritual renewal and anticipation of Easter bring such joy and growth. I love the fact that my 6-year-old is starting to 'get' it.
6. Books. We do a lot of reading around here on a regular basis, but this time of year, there's nothing like snuggling on the couch with a mountain of read-alouds.
7. Hot chocolate. Self-explanatory.
8. Garden planning. Lucy and I are just beginning to think about what we'd like to plant this year.
9. Sinking into bed under a pile of warm blankets.
10. Winter weddings! Just got back from Phil and Sara's reception in Cincinnati - what fun. Victor was a dancing machine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment