Thursday, February 28, 2008

You won't believe this

Today, Eustace and Lucy spent a couple hours dissecting a barn owl's pellet (don't worry, it was a sanitized version I ordered here.) The kids colored pictures of barn owls and identified bones of several birds and rodents that had been previously digested by one hungry barn owl somewhere.

Then, this evening, just after the sun set, I looked across our front yard, and what did I see? An owl in our neighbor's tree!!! (it might also have been a hawk, but in the dark, it was hard to tell.) We watched the big bird hand out on a limb for a good 15 minutes. It might have been wishful thinking, but we thought we even heard a "whoo!" Lucy definitely detected a white-feathered belly. What a cool ending to our day. God must have wanted us to learn about this creature today.

No comments: