Thursday, March 20, 2008

Jesus Loves the Little Children

Victor. He is one funny little guy. At mass, he spends his time sucking his thumb, talking to himself and us (not in a whisper), walking around in the pew, singing a line or two when the mood strikes him (generally a few seconds late and a decibel or two louder than everyone else). He doesn't seem to mind being in church, but I was just certain that most of what goes on was completely escaping him.

He is only 3, after all.

But, yesterday, we were washing hands. It's always a struggle. For some reason the whole bathroom thing would be fine with him if we could just skip that last step. I can't figure out what the big deal is since he usually loves playing in water. Anyway, yesterday as we were completing this job, out of nowhere, he said, "Mommy, why does Pontius Pilate wash his hands?"

I was dumbfounded. I guess there is more going into that little mind during mass than I thought. I thank God we attend a church where the children are allowed to be a part of our most important prayer. They may be wiggly or even downright unruly at times, but even the littlest of the little will grasp things we adults may never anticipate.

God bless little Victor for reminding me.

No comments: