No matter how old I get (and I seem to be feeling pretty ancient lately), the approval of my parents is important to me. While I don't base all my decision-making on their opinions, it feels really nice when I can tell they are in favor of my choices. Maybe that's part of 'oldest child syndrome' - feel free to psychoanalyze all you like! But, my parents are honest, hardworking, Christian people, so I value their input, and legitimately so.
I know when I first mentioned homeschooling to my parents when Lucy was a toddler, at least my dad thought I was crazy. He had enough respect for my decision to keep his opinion mostly to himself, but I could tell... Over time, I think my parents have grown to appreciate more and more the blessing that homeschooling is to our family.
On Friday, my dad gave me the biggest compliment I could hope for. We were discussing a study they're doing with some friends called The Truth Project (which sounds incredibly good, by the way) when he said, "I'm glad you're homeschooling."
I don't think he knows what an encouragement that was to me. Homeschooling is, if we're being completely honest, hard on some days. (I still think getting everyone out the door by 8:00 AM would be harder, but that's another discussion.) And, I'm pretty sure every homeschooling mom second guesses her abilities at one time or another. Some days things go great, other days, not so much... Sometimes I feel that my house is in fairly good order, other days, as if a tidal wave has engulfed our home and left debris scattered in its wake...
So, Dad, if you're reading, please know how much those words meant and do mean to me. I appreciate all the support I can get in this venture of educating and raising my kids, especially from my mom and dad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment