Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Blessing in Disguise

My husband sometimes accuses me of living a sheltered life. He says that the longer I'm home with my kids, pretty much surrounding myself with only people of my choosing, the more Catholic Christian my world becomes. He means this is the best way (I think). I don't have to constantly defend my faith to others as do those who work in secular places all day long... What a relief! And I should be praying more for those who are in the trenches more so than I (especially my husband who is never afraid to speak the truth)...

Today, during a google search for 'popemobile' (hey, John Paul II's birthday is coming up on Monday - gotta be prepared!), I stumbled across the ugliest blog I've seen in a while.

I'm sure this young (I assume) person, wherever he is, thinks it's pretty clever to bash the pope for being out of touch, unrealistic, hypocritical, blah, blah, blah (how original)... This particular writer, however, and all his commenters were just downright hateful.

Why was this shocking to me? (refer to paragraph one) It shouldn't have been. Jesus predicted this. All but one of the apostles were martyrs. Throughout history, Christians have been persecuted, ridiculed, and generally despised to more or less a degree depending on the time and place.

Today's the feast of St. Matthias, who took Judas' place, bravely proclaimed the gospel, and wound up executed for it. Now he's forever at peace in Heaven.

I started to leave my own comment. The discussion was centered on Pope Benedict's recent statements about condoms and the AIDS crisis in Africa. The Holy Father was discouraging attempts at controlling the spread of disease through the distribution of condoms. This is not only in line with biblical and Catholic Church teaching about the dignity and worth of each individual, but is also supported by demographic evidence collected by secular sources. Where condoms are passed out like candy, AIDS spreads. Where abstinence and self-respect are encouraged, disease is contained.

But, I stopped. I wasn't able to leave a comment without submitting my email address, and I just couldn't bring myself to go there. A cop-out? Maybe. So, I'll cower into my own corner of the blogosphere and say my piece.

The author of this particular blog had an urban, rapper-sounding pen name. I'm sure this gives him credence with many in our culture, especially the young and hip. What I really wanted to say to him was this: The pope is right. Please seek the truth without all the politically correct blinders. Jesus loves you. He sent this holy man to light your way. Don't let the culture fool you. You'll be much happier!

Our dear, sweet Pope actually tried to retire years before when he was still a cardinal. Pope John Paul II, I'm sure in the kindest of ways, turned him down.

So, here he is, standing up for truth and light in a world that just plain hates him. And he smiles and keeps on going.

In the first 100 days of our current presidency, I wrote more letters to senators, congressmen, and the White House itself than in the rest of my life put together. I'm worn out. I'm taking a break. It's only been a few months. I guess I"m a total wimp.

But Pope Benedict doesn't get the luxury of a respite from all this garbage. He is constantly writing, preaching, traveling, blessing, and reaching out to the masses. Why? Because he loves Jesus, his Church, and has given his life their service.

I'm sad for those who aren't willing to see that and receive the love that Jesus has for them. As annoying as it is to read the ignorant words of pope-bashers, mostly, it's just sad.

The blessing for me in this experience is a heightened awareness of our pope's battles and an increased resolve to pray for him.

No comments: