I think I've mentioned before all the warnings a couple receives from adoption agencies and society at large about the tumultuous journey that is invariably part of international adoption. For us, there have definitely been 'up' moments, such as finally completing the dossier, gaining immigration department approval, and receiving pictures and updates through email.
Yesterday, however, was definitely a 'down.' With our agency's blessing, we sent a package with pictures, gifts, and letters introducing ourselves as this child's future family. The translator there generally videos the moment when the child is presented with news of his or her adoption. For a few weeks, I've been just about continuously checking my email for a response from our soon-to-be son. Yesterday I found out that the attorney for our agency in his country has decided we need to wait a few more months before giving him the news.
This was not only a shock, but a major disappointment. I can certainly understand the reasoning behind the decision, but it still stings. We don't really know exactly what we're waiting for, but I'm guessing it has to do with more certain government approval. We are definitely on board with protecting this precious child from potential heartbreak should something go wrong.
I think that's part of what's hard about this. I thought we were beyond the point where we could be rejected. But, I guess not.
I am reminding myself that this is all in God's hands. I am letting go of the idea that travel might be complete by the beginning of the school year. I am making plans to get started with school next month without him. I am slowly and painstakingly shifting gears in my mind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
OH, sorry for your news, Anne:(
But I am happy too because as I was reading the first part of your post, I thought, oh no, is the bad news going to be that when he finds out he'll be adopted, he decides he doesn't want to be adopted???? Then I read on and found out that you just can't tell him yet. Whew!!
Can't wait for our "moms talks" to start up again soon, aka "swimming."
Tara
don't be discouraged! what a wonderful Christmas present he would be!
Post a Comment