Monday, February 14, 2011

Six

Blogger is not cooperating with my attempts to upload pictures...

But we had a major event in our family last week, one which I must record before another moment passes.

Somebody turned 6.

He is my first-born son. He has a brother who is older than him, but this recently-turned-6-y-o gave me my first experience at mothering a boy.

The first car and truck sounds that emanated so naturally at around 7 months of age were sure indicators that this Y chromosome was not to be taken lightly.

First it was a serious love of vehicles. Never did I imagine myself developing such in depth knowledge of cars, trucks, submarines, military aircraft or dune buggies as we read aloud book after book, examined H*otwheel after H*otwheel, his interest in engine-propelled objects unwavering.

Then, he discovered dinosaurs. Anyone who has spent more than 5 minutes with him in the past year has surely received a lecture on a favorite factoid about parasaurolophus or microraptor. Although, maybe he told me that raptors are not technically dinosaurs. Or maybe that was pterosaurs. I don't know. All I'm clear on is this: I have never in my life met anyone who has known so much about prehistoric life as this child. I never understood what could possibly be interesting about this topic, but I have learned to love it, mostly because this child of mine takes such fascination in all this...

He was a quiet, contented baby, and a sweet, snuggly toddler.

Now he turns 6. And for some reason, he seems all grown up all of a sudden.

The years of carrying him around in a backpack, in which he was content to ride until he was solidly 4, are most definitely in the past. And it stings a little.

I used to pack him into my favorite kid-carrier and we would stroll the neighborhood while he talked incessantly about whatever was on his mind.

As much as I love to see him grow and mature and develop new skills, a little piece of me is clinging to that precious image of a chubby-cheeked toddler pushing dump trucks all around my kitchen.

When I am able, I will post pictures of his birthday present, a betta fish he named 'Sean'. :)

Many thanks to Grandparents, Cousins, Aunts, Uncles and Friends who helped make his birthday a really great one.

1 comment:

Sara Thompson said...

wait...victor can't be six already!!!!!