Monday, June 20, 2011

I Love Red Tape

Adoption paperwork is, in some ways, much like labor and delivery - pretty darn painful. When the process is complete, the struggles and frustration fade from memory, more or less gradually depending on the situation.

After Ignace came home last year, besides post-placement reports, I took a break from filling out forms for as long as I could. Today we had to come out of red tape retirement and apply for his passport. That's a bridge we have to cross to get his SSN.

I've learned my lesson about bureaucratic requirements and government offices, so I went prepared with every single piece of documentation and identifcation I could think of. And, by golly, I had every thing I needed. Except, the government wouldn't accept the photocopy the lawyer's office had sent to us of his US adoption decree. *sigh* So, after waiting an hour (which actually isn't bad compared to other experiences), we had to pack back up and head home. Never mind that I had presented parental drivers' licenses and passports, and Ignace's green card, original delayed US birth certificate, a certificate of parental status from the State Department, official documents from his home country including adoption decree and passport, library cards, cell phone pictures and a note from Grandma.

We had to call the attorneys' office for the needed originals so we can do this all over again next week. Oh yes, and both parents must be present, so we have to wait for Dad to have time off during business hours.

Next stop: the social sec*ruty office. Fun, fun. Did I mention that this has all become urgent because we have to get his SSN before we file our taxes? Yes, we had to get an extension from the IR blankety-blank S.

And some people think we need more government?

I apologize in advance if I have offended anyone with my implied profanity.

No comments: