Thursday, June 11, 2009

On Ergos and Children

When Victor was about 10 months old, I discovered my favorite baby carrier. Click here to check it out. It is comfortable, durable, flexible (can be worn on the front, back, or side), and can be used as a backpack until the child weighs about 40 pounds (or until his legs are so long that they take out passersby innocently attempting to share a sidewalk).

Seriously, Victor would ride all day long in that thing. He still would, if I would let him. Remember this?

Then, Felicity came along.

I still love this carrier, but she is not nearly as willing to be lugged around as her big brother was (I should say, is).

Case in point, yesterday at the zoo I stuck her in the backpack so she could better see the animals, stay out of trouble, and be happy (that was my goal, anyway). As long as I kept moving at a brisk pace, my plan was fairly successful.

Otherwise, she was arching, wiggling, pushing, trying to escape. My sister observed, "aren't third kids supposed to be mellow?" haha.

Well, if I've learned anything in 7 1/2 years of parenting, it's that it's best to banish phrases such as 'supposed to' and 'always does' from your vocabulary.

In so keeping, I think I"ll keep the carrier because she may decide she likes it tomorrow.

1 comment:

Tara said...

I have an ergo too and love it. So does Gabe. Too bad he is so HUGE that he's too heavy to comfortably wear for more than 20-30 minutes at a time:( Oh, well, I love my big fat baby boy.


Tara