I've heard it said that adoption is more difficult than pregnancy. I think that's a leap in many ways, especially because every experience of pregnancy and adoption is so unique. However, for myself, the adoption process so far has been a serious exercise in patience and perseverance. My pregnancies have been relatively easy and, obviously, limited to 9 months. If adoption operated on a similar timeline, we'd have our new son home by now.
As it is, we're waiting. Right now, I'm trying to distract myself from checking email every twenty minutes. We're hopeful that sometime this week, our package of letters and gifts will reach the orphanage and his reaction to the news will come back to us, thanks to modern technology.
Our agency has often warned us about setbacks, lack of predictability, and staying flexible. I, completely out of character, am always assuming that our case will run more smoothly than the average international adoption. This is not based on our experience so far by any stretch of the imagination. I think, by the grace of God, I have an unusual spirit of optimism in this circumstance.
So, I'm hoping for a miraculously quick application of the mail delivery system.
In the meantime, I noticed that Felicity has almost reached the 20-month mark. That always seems like the right time to start using the 'almost 2' designation. Is that possible? Where has the time gone?
How can time pass at different speeds for different experiences simultaneously? The lives of both children are passing so quickly. One, I have the opportunity to relish each day. Another, on the other side of the globe, we only see in snippets. So, with every obstacle, he grows and develops even longer without us.
He's in a happy, nurturing place, though, which is different than the experience of many children around the world in orphanages. Still, it seems this whole thing is taking forever. And then, sometimes, I feel I'll never have enough time to
get completely prepared.
What does that mean, anyway? 'Completely prepared?' Is anyone ever 100% ready for anything? (that is, aside from Martha Stewart, my mom, and the international head of boy scouts)
I've never been very good at waiting. So, I guess, this is my chance to rise to the occasion. It is excruciating. God knows what He's doing. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
did you know that synonyms for adopt are to embrace or to espouse...it would be painful to wait for an embrace from a child for over a year....But what an embrace to wait for....? Our prayers are with your family...
Post a Comment