Friday, August 22, 2008

Backyard Happenings

Lucy discovered a new favorite place to hang out, read, and draw.
Watching her climb up there makes me cringe, but so far, no
injuries. This willow tree has become a good friend.

A katydid siting. When I first read of other Charlotte Mason
enthusiasts encouraging nature journaling, I was skeptical. It's a lovely
idea, I thought, but will my own kids really take to this? I felt it was
worth a try, so I dutifully set out bug catchers, nature guides, and kid-friendly
binoculars. The results have been pleasantly surprising! With each new
bug, plant, flower, tree, frog, etc. she finds, Lucy breaks out her nature
supplies and observes and sketches away. Victor also likes
to catch bugs and 'look them up' in our books.

The tomato plants that ate Manhattan. They have long
since overgrown their cages and are taking over the yard.
That random bag of cow manure I impulse-bought at Lowes
seems to have done the trick. Anyone need tomatoes?

Someone has discovered the joy of running around
bare-chested (and occasionally bare-everything!). In this
picture he's handing crayons up to Lucy in her tree perch.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: