The intended project: draw a picture of your family.
The revised project (as per resident 3-year-old): draw a hot lava-mobile ("or any weird mobile like that, Mommy")
I concede, a truck made of molten rock is more exciting than a mom, dad, 2 sisters and a dog any day of the week.
The thought of sitting down with my son and having the kind of discussions I had with my daughter at this age is laughable! He would never go for the 'lets talk about why each person in your family is special' activity suggestion.
Bonding with a boy is so different. Yesterday, I had a couple hours alone with Victor and the baby while Lucy was at the doctor's office with her dad. We ran some errands, ate muffins, and sat on our porch swing. He chatted non-stop about airplanes, cookies, planting trees, and driving fast cars. I listened and laughed, giving him my full attention. His behaviour was stellar. No meltdowns, no power struggles, no blatant disobedience. I was really enjoying his company, and the feeling must have been mutual. As we were driving away from home to run one last errand, he said, "We should have a Victor and Anne date."
Indeed we should, my sweet, little, middle child. I think I'll put it on the calendar. No matter our age or sex, we all need to feel appreciated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment