Sunday, August 9, 2009

Back to School

We completed our first week of school for the year! I decided to get going a little early...
 

These are our school shirts. They say, "St. John the Baptist, Pray for Us!" Last year, we decided to name our little homeschool after St. John the Baptist because Eustace and I got married on his feast day. Everybody loves wearing matching shirts! They're great for keeping track of each other at places like the zoo, too.

 

My 'brilliant' plan to keep #3 occupied this year was water play. I carefully set up the dishtub on the floor with towels and toys, and the next thing I knew she had stripped herself down and decided it was bath time! Oh well, as long as she's happy, it works.

Inspired by my friend Coleen, I constructed schedules for each day of the week. They include chores, school subjects, meal times, free time, prayer time and activities. So far, it's been really great to have a reference point to keep us on track. I know that the unschooler in me will eventually emerge, however, and we'll just do whatever strikes us on certain days. It will be good, though, I think, to have structure to which to return when we need it. And many days we definitely do.

So, we're off and running. I'm hoping that getting a few days in early will allow us a nice big break during the year, if we should need it. Or, we'll just have plenty of time to bake cookies during Advent.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Way to go Anne! You are inspiring me!
Love,
Shannon