I'd like to have a word with whoever developed the words for the numbers between 10 and 20 in the English language. I mean, really. 'Twelve?' Why? As Mr. Demme from our Math=U-See program says, it would make more sense to call it onety-two. Or, as Victor pointed out today, 'we should call it two-teen.' Yes, we should. I wish someone would have considered the early learners when figuring this all out.
It's not so simple as that, I suppose.
Anyway, it's no wonder then, that when these silly teens are causing frustration and a person is only four years old, the logical solution becomes demanding one's own way. For example, if a person's mother points out that the number after twelve is actually thirteen, and not eighteen, a statement could be made along the lines of, "but that's not the way I want it to be."
A person's mother will certainly be stumped by this statement. After all, any explanations about mathematical laws and logic and the universality of numbers can be halted simply by stating that one prefers to live and function in his own little world.
In such a world, if a little guy wants to eliminate or switch around some pesky little teens, who's the wiser?
Mom will give up, at least for the day, and probably make some mac-and-cheese, and all will be right. Then the little guy can move on to some more important topic, such as submarines or sword fighting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
haha! too funny!!! maybe we wont have victor teach sam to count!
Post a Comment