Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Our Lady of Sorrows

We started the morning with a reading about Our Lady of Sorrows and a discussion about making sacrifices cheerfully today in honor of all the sacrifices Mary made during her lifetime. Most importantly, she suffered heroically watching her beloved Son die for the sake of the world. In light of that gift, surely we could all offer up our minor inconveniences for 24 hours, right?

I imagined a day of cheerful obedience and sibling harmony.

What I got was quite the contrary. Seriously, this is one of the worst days we've had in a long time. Part was the kids' behavior and part was my reaction to it. Neither were good.

So, what happened? I'm not 100% sure, but I think we all forgot about the crosses we had meant to humbly carry at the beginning of the day.

Ironic that these 'events' just so happened to coincide with the feast of Our Lady of Sorrows. Well, now I'm truly sorrowful. Unfortunately, my sorrow stems not from patient self-sacrifice like Our Blessed Mother, but from my decided LACK of patience, loss of temper, and general bad behavior. I'm talking about myself here, and not my kids. How ridiculous.

Anyway, Our Lady of Sorrows, please pray for me that I might be more like the person your Son would like me to be. Help me in my vocation as a homeschooling mother.

Ever wish you could just hit the reset button and start the day over?

No comments: