Saturday, January 31, 2009

What's in a (Nick)name?

We affectionately refer to Felicity by a variety of names: Harry Wu, Miss Felice, Lumpy-Lump... But, most often, we all just call her 'Baby'. I don't know why, but we haven't done this with the other kids. I guess since we have older kiddos in the house now, it seems more appropriate to refer to the youngest one in this way...

Yesterday, however, Eustace said the words I loathe to hear. As I was discussing her activities for the day, I was using the phrase 'baby did this' or 'baby did that' when he interrupted me saying, "you know, Anne, she's not really a baby anymore."

What followed was a scowl and a pregnant pause.

She is a baby, MY baby. And she will be until (God-willing) the next little bundle comes along.

If it is God's plan that she should be our last baby, then a baby she will remain, in my eyes anyway. Maybe it's not right or not healthy that I should feel this way, but that's the way it is. I'm all for being honest about things, you see...

My husband, of all people, should understand this. He is the youngest of 5 closely- spaced boys. I'm sure if I asked my Mother-in-law, she would emphatically agree that he is her baby.

I don't mean that I won't encourage her independence or that I won't celebrate her achievements in life. I certainly will. but, underneath it all, whoever ends up being last in this family will be the baby, and I will relish every fleeting moment of his or her babyhood, and toddlerhood, and childhood. I'm trying to practice this with all my kids, really, because it's no cliche that 'it all goes by so fast.'

For now, 'Baby' can be a baby. I won't be rushing her along. Life does that quickly enough as it is.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

After 5 children, my husband has learned from painful experience NOT to say those words to me and let my baby BE my baby. I was the oldest of 4 and WISHED I was babied a little more. I tell each of my kids (even my 13 year old - some days ESPECIALLY my 13 year old) that you'll ALWAYS be my baby, even when I'm a little old lady and you're taking care of me. They are such a treasure, why would I give it up a second sooner than God asks me to?