Wednesday, September 12, 2007

tag-along

I've read a bazillion articles about what to do with a toddler while educating an older child... I do include Victor in many of the things we do, especially read-aloud time and art projects. But, sometimes I just need to work one-on-one with child number one. Many of the suggestions of experienced mothers have worked out really well. And, he is really doing well with playing independently when I need him to, for the most part. However, I didn't realize he was teaching himself to read (not really).

He has memorized several of his favorite books, and likes to 'read' them frequently and loudly. He especially likes to do this when I'm reading aloud to Lucy something he's not terribly interested in (such as Little House on the Prairie). If I ask him to whisper, his response is always, "I can't Mommy, I'm READING." OK, OK, what can I say... So, my favorite quote of the week so far is this (after finishing one of his books): "I'm a great reader, Mommy! What does this say?"

Speaking of reading, Lucy had a milestone today. She completed her first chapter book all by herself! We are all very proud. The title is Night of the Ninjas (in the Magic Tree House series).

1 comment:

Shannon said...

So proud of you Lucy!!! And you too Victor! I hear ya when it comes to keeping these little ones happy...hands down the biggest challenge! I'll have to blog just on John's adventures of the week!
Shan