Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Best Post This Blog Has Ever Produced

Here it is. The long-awaited guest post by my dear husband. I am changing a few words here and there to protect particulars about our son's name and location, even though I'm quite sure every single person reading knows exactly who and where he is. Anyway, from the head of this family:

Dear fans of my wife's blog,for many years i have been begging to be guest blogger. lucy got to do it, but never me. finally, i threatened to leave town and go to (a foreign country) to adopt a little boy if that's what it'd take to get my own blogspot. anne said " go for it" so thus i arrived in (the capital of this country) at my first and possibly only guest blog. this is a beautiful country with a deep religious, linguistic and (ooohlala) culinary tradition. in (the city), we have all the amenities of a western european city, without the western europeans. (the people) are friendly, sweet and fantastic cooks. dont see a ton of poverty. in this city of 1.5 million, there are roughly 100 homeless people. the true poverty is in the villages; rural communities unable to elevate themselves from poverty due to weather, technology, education...but certainly not thru lack of motivation. These are the hardest working people i've ever seen. Americans might learn a thing or two from the work ethici here.

(our son) has moved from being a two dimensional creature of photos and videos to a 3D reality. i believe we had taken to a sort of hagiography regarding him based on the stories we'd heard. st I, etc etc. however, he is incredibly sweet, incredibly generous and caring but at times.....incredibly bossy. for now, he handles gentle redirection and the word "no" very well. i am waiting to see what influence my other three angels will exert.

i am (obviously) internet enabled. i have unfortunately been able to read the news. a few comments: first of all, (people here) are terrified of barack h obama. they see him for what he is and lived under the boot of the rhetoric they are now hearing about in america. they see history repeating itself and are weeping for america. they also are surprised largely at how passive americans seem to be (in the media) to the gradual erosion of their freedom.second, i have been reading a lot of pompous, pseudointellectual, self-righteous talking heads talking about the scandal in the church and how the church must do this and that and this etc. can i just say: SHUT UP!? the time i've spent here with the Missionaries of Charity ( who, last time I checked are huge fans of the Catholic Church) has re-affirmed in my mind that there is no greater force for good in this world than the Catholic church. Problems in the Church? Sure. Do we need advice from " the world and the media" as to how to fix em? Hell no. Sound a little too triumphal? Tough. I visited a house today, the name of which translates literally White House. It is a home for disabled adults, aged 18 thru 51. they laughed about our white house in the US versus their white house. I know which one I would rather live in and whom i'd rather live among. I wish BHO would get himself over here and learn the meaning of authentic "caritas" or charity. Anyway, enough from me. If you like this post please email anne relentlessly until I am allowed to write again.

With every slovenly affection,Eustace, guest blogger

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Eustace- OK...you've won a second, third, and even fourth post in my eyes!! Hilarious! We are so praying for you! Love the comparison of the white houses. I wish I could have gone to the one you went to today...sounded amazing! Give I a hug from me!
Shan