Until last evening, it wasn't clear to me the exact reason for visiting the home in the mountains, the 'white house' my husband mentioned in his previous post. I knew it was where our son had lived the first few years of his life. I just wasn't sure the current motivation for going back. Was it so the sisters could say goodbye? But, the sisters move around a lot, so I didn't think any of them would be the same as when he had lived there... Did he have some memories and attachment to that place of his own? I just wasn't sure.
It turns out, the special needs adults who live there needed to say goodbye to him. They had known him and helped care for him as an infant and toddler. How precious. They put on a play of The Prodigal Son parable, drew pictures and had a party in his honor.
Eustace said our son was a bit overwhelmed and began to realize that he is actually leaving his home. I'm not sure I can adequately describe, or even grasp, their experience from yesterday. I know it was very moving.
I had asked many questions over the course of our adoption process about our son's godparents. Who were they? Did he have a relationship with them? I never got a clear answer, so I assumed they were out of the picture. As it turns out, his Godmother is the physical therapist who lives in that home and cares for those people. She and Eustace had a long conversation yesterday about our son's temperament, his life, and her thoughts for his future. What a lovely, unexpected encounter. She gave us pictures, and I believe we'll be able to keep in touch.
I'm finding it pretty difficult to be taking all this in second hand. I never would have been able to leave our kids for as long as this trip is requiring, but I never imagined how hard it would be to miss out on these experiences. Thank goodness my husband and mother are excellent communicators.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Anne,
I am a friend of Shannon, she sent me a link to your blog. My husband recently returned from China with our son. I remember how difficult it was not to share these in country experiences. Having traveled for our daughter and not for our son, it seemed so much harder to be at home. Now that they have been home just two short months, that in country time has melted away. You will soon be sharing so much more with your son. It is so exciting to watch all of their firsts, first Mass, first ice cream, first new toys, first holiday celebrations.
Have you been able to Skype? This was fantastic when my dh was in China. We were able to talk daily, often twice a day and the video was amazing.
You and your family will continue to be in our prayers. Congratulations on a new son!!
Thanks for your comment, Nikki! Shannon has filled me in on your family a bit, also. I appreciate your words of wisdom! We are waiting to skype until my husband actually has our son in his custody. since he has some special needs, they were taking a few days to learn his routine. so, soon, we should be able to give that a try. Hope I get to meet you in person sometime!
Anne, with every suffering there are joys, remembering we are entering Holy Week, the holiest week of the whole year, unite everything with our Lord on the Cross and He will surely continue to bless you. This is a friendly reminder, especially when we are in moments of looking at the grass on the other side of the fence. You are a tremendous mother to not leave your children at home, for they would not have handled well either. I praise God everyday that you have Eustace and who in the world can go wrong with Mom in on the picture. Trust your wisdom and love from the deepest recesses of your heart.
On my part, I am going crazy here in Kansas wanting to see your son as well. Everyday, I am checking with great expectation. Thanks for being a faithful blogger.
Post a Comment